The side event aims to explore a number of issues related to capacity development including, among others:
- Identification of critical issues for institutional and technical capacity development for disaster risk management in low-income disaster-prone OIC member countries;
- Actions to be taken to improve the capacities for disaster related data collection and information sharing;
- Building capacities for DRR in difficult security situations and in situations of state fragility
- Roles to be played by international partners in capacity development;
- Roles to be played by NGOs in developing capacities at local level for better protection of poor;
- Possible mechanisms that can be developed by IDB and the member countries as part of their short as well as long-term financing strategy for disaster risk management.
FORMAT OF THE SIDE EVENT:
The session will start with a presentation of the recent study prepared by SESRIC and IDB on managing disasters and conflicts in OIC countries. The rest of the event will be organized in a panel discussion format. The participants will discuss the role of capacity development for effective disaster risk management in low-income disaster-prone OIC member countries. There will be key speakers from the member countries (Turkey, Afghanistan, Guinea) as well as relevant international organizations (UNISDR, GFDRR, ADB) to deliberate on the issue of capacity development. After the panel discussion, there will be a wrap-up section to summarize the key outcome of the discussions.
All delegations of OIC Member States attending the 3rd WCDRR are invited to participate to the special session. Representatives of relevant NGOs, OIC institutions, international organizations, academicians as well as other relevant stakeholders are invited to attend the event to share their perspectives.
For more information, visit: http://www.sesric.org/event-detail.php?id=1148